| ALC History|
A History of Ascension Lutheran Church
"Certain men of vision, taking into consideration the continued coming to Ohio State University of many of our Lutheran young people from the churches of Ohio felt the need of providing for the nurturing and protection of them, in the Christian faith that had been implanted. For this they felt the need of a church of our beloved Lutheran Zion, being located in the university area." (excerpt from parish register, Ascension Lutheran Church)
In the winter of 1917, Rev. D. B. Young, with some members of Monroe Avenue Lutheran church, canvassed the area, preparing to organize a congregation. The first preaching service was held March 4, 1917 in the home of G. B. Francisco with 15 persons present.
After careful investigation of sites, the location of Lane and Indianola Avenues was chosen. Services were held in the house on the front of the lot. The growth of the original Indianola Lutheran Church caused the congregation to outgrow such quarters quickly. The dedication of the Sunday School unit of Indianola Lutheran Church was in December, 1921. The membership at that time was 115.
The Evangelical Lutheran Church remained at an Indianola location until April 1, 1959 when that building was sold to the Church of the Brethren for $61,000. New property had been acquired on October 7, 1958 at 1421 Morse Road. A building committee was formed in January of 1959 to develop plans for a new church. 207 acres at the present day location of 1479 Morse Road was purchased for $17,000. Services were held at the Clinton Junior High School from 1959 until 1962. Ground was broken for the present day church in 1962. The new church on Morse Road was dedicated on Easter Sunday in 1963.
Interesting Fact: The 8:00 a.m. service was introduced in the summer of 1954 as a "Convenience to our members, but relatively few took advantage of this opportunity."
The Ascension Lutheran Church PastorsFeb 15th, 1959 - Rev. Edward A. Bary
Reverend Bary oversaw the transition from Indianola to Morse Rd. The "Building Program" began on February 5, 1960. On June 15, 1960, the Indianola Lutheran Church became "Ascension Lutheran Church."
1964 - Rev. Arthur F. Haimerl
Pastor Haimerl undertook many programs at Ascension, Genesis and AA are two of those programs. A preschool program was added in 1965. Pastor Haimerl also oversaw expansion of Ascension in 1970 when our present day Sanctuary was added.
April 1, 1977 - Rev. Ronald Huff
Pastor Huff was called as an Associate Pastor. During Pastor Huff's service many music programs were expanded. The contemporary service at the Haimerl center was introduced. Pastor Huff was a Christian counselor at Ascension when asked to join our ministry team with Pastor Haimerl. We converted him from a Methodist minister to Lutheran! Pastor Haimerl and Pastor Huff began what would become the longest running pastoral team in the Ohio Synod. The two served together for more than 23 years. Pastor Haimerl retired in 2000 at which time Pastor Huff was called as the primary pastor for Ascension Lutheran Church. Pastor Huff retired in April, 2006.
May 20th, 2007 - Rev. Tim Muller
Pastor Muller was installed as Ascension Lutheran Church's new pastor. Welcome Pastor Tim!
Indianola Lutheran Church circa 1930
Altar at Clinton Junior High School